Monday, February 4, 2008

First Day at School

The day we've been waiting for finally arrives. We all woke up bright and early to get ready (actually, I had to wake up earlier to prepare breakfast).

Surprisingly, Zac woke up excited. Brushed his teeth, had his shower, breakfast, did a poop and was all set to go. Not a sound of whining nor a drop of tear.

School is like a 5min drive from home. It was packed by the time we got there at 8.30am. School starts at 9am actually, but being Singaporean, the "KS" syndrome automatically kicked in and I wanted to be there early to check everything out and talk to his teacher. The first funny thing I noticed on the way in the carpark was that alot of parents were carrying tissue boxes and kitchen rolls. I realised later that they don't provide them for the children. Weird though...seeing how school fees are like $1.4k a year and we have to bring our own tissue paper.

School here is sooo different from Singapore. There is so much excitement in the air, no crying, wailing from the children or parents yelling at their kids. Everyone there looked so experienced. It's like this was kid #3 attending Primary 1 and Andre and I were the only newbies around. So like copycats, we looked around and followed what everyone else was doing.

Had a short chat with his nice, young teacher, Miss Maslin and she tried her utmost best to reassure us that Zac will be fine and she'll look after him just fine.

9am and the school bell rang. Andre and I noticed we were the last set of parents to be in the class. Quickly gave our hugs and kisses and walked out. Zac was looking around but I think Miss Maslin somehow mananged to get his attention. We rushed out of school and waited in the car park. 10mins went by and all was good. Phew!

Kan cheong me kept my mobile on me the whole day but wonderfully, there were no calls from the school.

Was outside his class at 2.50pm, so were the other mummies and daddies. It seemed like everybody knew everybody and were so happy to finally catch up as their children attended the same school. Me? nope..no one to gossip with yet.

School bell rings and out rushes all the children, happy to see their parents. All except Zac...waited for like 3mins but still no Zac. So I walked into his class and there he was talking to Miss Maslin. Waved at him and he wasn't even excited to see me...:( Only when he was done talking to Miss Maslin that he decides to give me a big hug.

We weren't even out of the school yard and already Zac was telling me how much fun school was. He even asked me how come I came to pick him up so early. Can't believe my ears!!!! Finally he likes school!!!!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

awwwww!!! Great to read that Zac is liking school.

Sounds like a wonderful school!

♥ Jill said...

what school is he in?

Ophelia aka Odie said...

our lady's assumption school. st. stephen's was too far away...tee hee!